Growth vs. Comfort

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.

Growth vs. Comfort

Postby Ray DeGraw » 09 Nov 2009, 21:16

A good friend who is a ward leader shared this quote with me:

"There's no growing in the comfort zone, and no comfort in the growing zone."
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Ray DeGraw
Site Admin

Re: Growth vs. Comfort

Postby Bill Atkinson » 09 Nov 2009, 21:59

Thanks for that Ray, a good insight but "uncomfortable" :lol: I think we do need a comfort zone to be able to sit and rest and build up some energy for the growth. In many ways StayLDS is a bit of a comfort zone (though full of growth too) since a person can be reasonably well assured that people will share and understand their issues even if they don't fully agree. So we may be in a spot where both are possible. So a rework might be:

"There is no growing in the comfort zone, and no comfort in the growing zone, so share some comfort with others while growing" ?
All true artists, whether they know it or not, create from a place of no-mind, from inner stillness.
Ernest Ludwig Kirchner
Bill Atkinson

Postby Ray DeGraw » 09 Nov 2009, 22:01

I like it, Bill.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Ray DeGraw
Site Admin

Postby Orson » 11 Nov 2009, 17:58

I like it too! :)
My avatar - both physical and spiritual.

I first found faith, and thought I had all truth. I then discovered doubt, and claimed a more accurate truth. Now I’ve greeted paradox and a deeper truth than I have ever known.
Orson
Site Admin

Postby Brian Johnston » 11 Nov 2009, 20:13

I grow in the comfort zone ... like a spicy mold on an old cheese. :lol:
AKA Valoel
"It's strange to be here. The mystery never leaves you alone." -John O'Donohue, Anam Cara, speaking of experiencing life.
Brian Johnston
Site Admin

Return to Support