If You Could Hie to Kolob

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.

If You Could Hie to Kolob

Postby silentstruggle » 04 Nov 2009, 16:23

Okay, I am straining at another gnat. I admit, this one doesn't keep me up at night, but I always wonder about it when it is sung, and it bugs me a bit.

What is up/meant/to be interpreted by the line in the third verse of "If You Could Hie To Kolob" by W. W. Phelps, which goes "There is no end to race;"?

What eternal truth is he trying to teach, or is this simply reflective of the racist notions of the times, which have been discussed in other posts?
silentstruggle

Re: If You Could Hie to Kolob

Postby Orson » 04 Nov 2009, 16:33

"...There is no end to matter; There is no end to space
There is no end to spirit; There is no end to race."

My thought is it's simply saying our existence continues without end. Race as in 'human race' may not be the proper term for eternal beings, but hey it rhymes with space! :D
My avatar - both physical and spiritual.

I first found faith, and thought I had all truth. I then discovered doubt, and claimed a more accurate truth. Now I’ve greeted paradox and a deeper truth than I have ever known.
Orson
Site Admin

Postby MisterCurie » 04 Nov 2009, 20:43

I like the thought that he meant human beings, rather than that he is racist. I'm not sure what the original intent was, though.
MisterCurie

Postby hawkgrrrl » 04 Nov 2009, 21:13

I always took it to mean "race" like species also. So, rather than racism, it's probably creationism. ;)
hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Postby mormonheretic » 05 Nov 2009, 00:12

Perhaps Phelps is referring to the human race.
mormonheretic
Site Admin

Postby silentstruggle » 05 Nov 2009, 05:48

Thanks.

I will now quit obsessing.

Either it is referring to the human race, or there is a huge triathlon on the next life!! It will be really tough to win a race post-resurrection, because we will be all working with perfect bodies.
silentstruggle

Postby LaLaLove » 05 Nov 2009, 11:02

I like this song! It is one thing that DH actually thinks is unnecessary - Which is bringing "Kolob" into light of people other than yourself (The revelator).
I think it has to do with time personally.
No need to worry about some type of end..No need to dig deeply into it (It's simple)..Your individual spirit will never die..There is no "Race" to win..Because there is No end (So basically take your time through life and stuff like that)
I like that line "There is no end to race" Just makes sense to me if I think about it in a way that there is no point to literally race in something that doesn't have an end .. As in a tortoise and hare kind of way :D
LaLaLove

Postby Cadence » 10 Dec 2009, 21:47

He probably just needed something to rhyme with space.
Faith, as well intentioned as it may be, must be built on facts, not fiction--faith in fiction is a damnable false hope. Thomas A. Edison

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” Neil deGrasse Tyson
Cadence

Postby Heber13 » 11 Dec 2009, 02:15

So what is the deal with Kolob?

Isn't that supposed to be the planet closest to the place where God the Father exists...meaning God is actually in one location far away from earth, and periodically sends messengers to earth to deliver messages to us as His children, and then the messengers report back what the state of affairs on earth is like?

Is that the doctrine being presented with the Kolob revelation?
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."
Heber13
Site Admin

Postby Brian Johnston » 11 Dec 2009, 09:39

That's the story as it is presented in the Book of Abraham, pretty much.
AKA Valoel
"It's strange to be here. The mystery never leaves you alone." -John O'Donohue, Anam Cara, speaking of experiencing life.
Brian Johnston
Site Admin

Next

Return to History and Doctrine Discussions